0001437749-21-001932 4 1 20210201 20210203 20210203 MAO ROBERT YU LANG 0001232218 4 34 001-34112 21588600 C/O 3COM CORPORATION 350 CAMPUS DRIVE MARLBOROUGH MA 01752 Energy Recovery, Inc. 0001421517 3559 010616867 DE 1231 1717 DOOLITTLE DRIVE SAN LEANDRO CA 94577 (510) 483-7370 1717 DOOLITTLE DRIVE SAN LEANDRO CA 94577 4 1 rdgdoc.xml FORM 4 FORM 4 OMB APPROVAL [ ] Check this OMB Number: box if no longer UNITED STATES SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION 3235-0287 subject to Washington, D.C. 20549 Estimated Section 16. Form STATEMENT OF CHANGES IN BENEFICIAL OWNERSHIP OF average burden 4 or Form 5 SECURITIES hours per obligations may response... 0.5 continue. See Instruction 1(b). Filed pursuant to Section 16(a) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 or Section 30(h) of the Investment Company Act of 1940 1. Name and Address of Reporting 2. Issuer Name and Ticker 5. Relationship of Person * or Trading Symbol Reporting Person(s) to MAO ROBERT YU LANG Energy Recovery, Inc. [ Issuer (Check all ERII ] applicable) __X__ Director _____ 10% Owner __X__ Officer (give title (Last) (First) (Middle) 3. Date of Earliest below) _____ Other C/O ENERGY RECOVERY, INC., 1717 Transaction (MM/DD/YYYY) (specify below) DOOLITTLE DRIVE 2/1/2021 President and CEO (Street) 4. If Amendment, Date 6. Individual or SAN LEANDRO, CA 94577 Original Filed Joint/Group Filing (Check (City) (State) (Zip) (MM/DD/YYYY) Applicable Line) _X _ Form filed by One Reporting Person ___ Form filed by More than One Reporting Person Table I - Non-Derivative Securities Acquired, Disposed of, or Beneficially Owned 1.Title of Security 2. 2A. 3. Trans. 4. Securities 5. Amount of 6. Ownership 7. Nature of (Instr. 3) Trans. Deemed Code Acquired (A) or Securities Form: Direct Indirect Date Execution (Instr. 8) Disposed of (D) Beneficially (D) or Beneficial Date, if (Instr. 3, 4 and Owned Indirect (I) Ownership any 5) Following (Instr. 4) (Instr. 4) Reported Transaction(s) (Instr. 3 and 4) (A) or Code V Amount (D) Price Table II - Derivative Securities Beneficially Owned (e.g., puts, calls, warrants, options, convertible securities) 1. Title of 2. 3. Trans. Date 3A. 4. Trans. 5. Number of 6. Date Exercisable 7. Title and Amount 8. Price 9. Number of 10. 11. Nature Derivate Conversion Deemed Code Derivative and Expiration Date of Securities of derivative Ownership of Security or Execution (Instr. 8) Securities Underlying Derivative Derivative Securities Form of Indirect (Instr. 3) Exercise Date, if Acquired (A) or Security Security Beneficially Derivative Beneficial Price of any Disposed of (D) (Instr. 3 and 4) (Instr. 5) Owned Security: Ownership Derivative (Instr. 3, 4 and Following Direct (D) (Instr. 4) Security 5) Reported or Transaction(s) Indirect Date Expiration Amount or (Instr. 4) (I) Exercisable Date Title Number of (Instr. 4) Code V (A) (D) Shares Employee Stock Common Option (Right $13.96 2/1/2021 A 191534 (1) 2/1/2031 Stock 191534 $0 191534 D to Buy) Explanation of Responses: (1) This employee stock option was granted on February 1, 2021. 25% of the options will vest on the 1st anniversary of the grant date; thereafter, the remaining 75% vest 1/36th per month. Reporting Owners Reporting Owner Name / Address Relationships Director 10% Owner Officer Other MAO ROBERT YU LANG C/O ENERGY RECOVERY, INC. X President and CEO 1717 DOOLITTLE DRIVE SAN LEANDRO, CA 94577 Signatures /s/ William Yeung, Attorney-in-Fact for Robert Yu Lang Mao 2/3/2021 ** Signature of Reporting Person Date Reminder: Report on a separate line for each class of securities beneficially owned directly or indirectly. * If the form is filed by more than one reporting person, see Instruction 4(b)(v). ** Intentional misstatements or omissions of facts constitute Federal Criminal Violations. See 18 U.S.C. 1001 and 15 U.S.C. 78ff(a). Note: File three copies of this Form, one of which must be manually signed. If space is insufficient, see Instruction 6 for procedure. Persons who respond to the collection of information contained in this form are not required to respond unless the form displays a currently valid OMB control number.